The museum was built in 1931/32 by the architect W. Stuart Thompson and was extended towards the east in 1950. The building of the wonderful repository was a large undertaking. It contains collections of prehistoric finds, various items ranging from the Geometric to the Hellenistic period, Roman and Byzantine finds, excavation finds from the Asklepieion of Corinth, and a collection of sculptures and inscriptions.
Some of the most important items of the exhibition are:
- Large Mycenaean krater decorated with a painted representation of warriors on a chariot. Dated to 1200 B.C.
- Corinthian amphora with a lid . It bears a representation of two heraldic cocks and a double palmette at the centre. Dated to ca. 600 B.C.
- Mosaic, pebbled floor, with a representation of griffins devouring a horse. It is one of the earliest preserved Greek mosaics, dated to ca. 400 B.C.
- Mosaic floor decorated with the head of Dionysos framed by ornaments. It comes from a Roman villa and dates to the 2nd century A.D.
- Marble statue of a youth. Roman portrait, possibly of Lucius Caesar, son of Augustus, dated to the end of the 1st century B.C. or the beginning of the 1st century A.D. It imitates a Greek original of the first half of the 4th century B.C.
- Marble sphinx from a funerary monument. It is resting on the hind legs and standing on the fore. Traces of painted decoration are preserved on the torso and the wings. Corinthian product, dated to the middle of the 6th century B.C.
- Byzantine glazed plate. It is decorated with a representation of Digenis Acritas and a princess, and dates from the 12th century A.D. It belongs to a series of imported Byzantine vases, spanning the period from the end of the 9th until the end of the 14th century A.D.