Set in the heart of Mġarr, a village in Northwest Malta, and smaller than most other sites of a similar nature, Ta’ Ħaġrat is home to two well-preserved structures. The site was excavated between 1923 and 1926 with some other minor interventions in 1953 and in the 1960s. The larger of the two buildings dates from the earliest phases of megalithic construction – the Ġgantija phase (3600 – 3200 BC).
This structure has a monumental doorway and facade which give the site two of its most awe-inspiring and renowned characteristics. Other features include a bench, running along the facade’s length, as well as a courtyard, measuring approximately 2.5m by 4.5m, surrounded by a raised stone kerb. This space, accessible through the entrance corridor of the temple, provides access to three chambers through megalithic doorways. The main doorway of this structure was restored in 1937 with the replacement of the door lintel in its original position. The smaller structure, built on a 4-apse plan, is linked to the earlier one through a doorway in the eastern room.
On Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, between 09.00 and 16.30hrs. Visiting on other days is subject to an administration fee over and above the normal admission tariff per site.
Closed on 24, 25 & 31 December, 1 January & Good Friday
Due to the small size and fragility of these sites, only 15 visitors may be admitted at a time
Adults (18 – 59 years): €3.50
Teenagers (12 – 17 years), Senior Citizens (60 years & over), and Students: €3.00
Children (6 -11 years): €2.50
Infants (1 -5 years): Free