Postdoctoral Fellowships System
The Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) system provides help up to a core of the very most promising scientists at a crucial amount of time in their jobs. The fellowships will also be designed to secure an availability of very qualified Canadians with leading-edge scientific and research abilities for Canadian industry, federal federal government and institutions.
Will you be entitled to a PDF?
To be looked at qualified to receive support, at the time of the deadline date associated with in which you apply, you must year:
- be A canadian resident or even a permanent resident of Canada;
- hold or expect to keep a doctorate in just one of the areas of research that NSERC supports.
- It is possible to use just once to the PDF program.
- You may possibly submit just one application per to one granting agency (NSERC, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research CIHR or the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council SSHRC) year. You must certainly not have previously gotten a postdoctoral prize (including a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship) from SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR.
- You really must have completed all needs of one’s doctoral degree forget about than couple of years prior to the deadline date of the season where you use.
Note: This just isn’t the conferred or convocation date suggested on your own transcript, but rather the date upon which all of the demands of the level had been met, such as the effective defence and submission for the corrected copy of one’s thesis. For candidates with over one doctoral level, the conclusion date of one’s newest doctoral level is likely to be utilized to ascertain your eligibility.
- When you have acquired at the least half a year of full-time appropriate work in industry or federal government (experience with an organization or its affiliated hospitals, research organizations along with other laboratories will never be considered) once you received your doctorate, NSERC will expand the eligibility period to 3 years.
- If, within couple of years following a date of conclusion of one’s PhD, you’d your job notably interrupted as a result of disease or health-related household obligations, NSERC will expand this eligibility period to three years.
- When you yourself have completed a non-research based medical residency system once you received your doctorate, NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to three years.
- If, within 2 yrs after the date of conclusion of the PhD, you’d your job notably interrupted because of parental, medical and/or responsibilities that are family-related NSERC will extend the eligibility period to three years.
- If, within couple of years before or following the date of conclusion of one’s PhD, you then become the caregiver that is primary the delivery or use of a young child, NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to six years.
- Then you may be asked by NSERC to provide additional information and/or supporting documentation if you are subject to an extended eligibility period. Any such distribution to NSERC is only going to be utilised by staff to evaluate your eligibility to your system. Should you want to notify the review committee of delays and/or circumstances which could have impacted your performance and/or efficiency, you might do this within the Special Circumstances portion of the applying.
Where are you able to hold your fellowship?
You are able to hold your PDF at:
- Canadian organizations
- provincial research organizations in Canada
- other research that is appropriate in Canada
- institutions and research institutions abroad
You simply cannot hold a PDF in Canadian federal federal government laboratories or perhaps in commercial laboratories across Canada.
NSERC encourages one to undertake research which involves collaboration along with other Canadian companies. The character regarding the collaboration that is proposed be appropriate to your host organization.
- You may possibly hold a PDF abroad only when you’ve got gotten your doctorate from a institution that is canadian.
- NSERC encourages PDF award holders to broaden their research experience by gaining experience of different research environments. You aren’t allowed to keep your fellowship in the exact same organization (or its affiliated hospitals, research organizations along with other laboratories) in which you received your doctorate. Nonetheless, you may request an exclusion that’ll be considered because of the selection committee. The demand needs to be centered on medical reasons (for instance, proximity to required health care facilities), household reasons (for instance, a partner’s profession) or clinical reasons (for instance, option of specific equipment), which will make it acutely hard so that you can keep a specific organization. Even in the event your exclusion is provided, you aren’t permitted to be supervised by the PhD supervisor. You might be motivated to add a location that is alternate your PDF in case your ask for an exclusion just isn’t authorized.
- You might maybe maybe not keep the PDF along with your PhD supervisor, just because your manager modifications research organizations.
- Keeping a PDF abroad may impact your residency status in Canada russian mail order brides. You may possibly want to contact the appropriate Canadian authorities or an expert that is appropriate advice.
How can you use?
You can easily submit an application for a PDF by finishing and submitting Form 201, connecting supporting documents if required. Browse the directions on how best to finish Form 201.
Application due date
NSERC must get the application electronically prior to 8:00 p.m. (ET) on 17 october. Incomplete applications are going to be refused.
Apart from individual email address, NSERC will maybe not accept any noticeable modifications or updates to the application after it was submitted. Individual contact information may be updated by delivering an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review procedures and selection requirements
NSERC scholarships and fellowships selection committees review all PDF applications. The choice committees assess each application in line with the selection requirements described into the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships products. Keep in mind that NSERC may increase equity and diversity among qualified candidates by providing award concern to meritorious candidates whom self-identify as Indigenous and/or as a lady, if enough funds become available. The choice committees are arranged based on the after discipline that is broad:
- Civil and industrial engineering
- Chemical, biomedical and materials technology engineering
- Mechanical engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Computing sciences
- Mathematical sciences
- Physics and astronomy
- World sciences
- Ecology and evolution
- Cellular and biology that is molecular
- Animal and plant biology
The research topic code (see selection of Research topic Codes for Scholarships and Fellowships) joined in the application will figure out the choice committee where the application will soon be assessed. NSERC may designate the application form up to a various committee if it determines that the niche matter is more suitable for another committee.
NSERC expects selection committee users to consistently guard from the probability of unconscious bias affecting the decision-making procedure, whether these biases depend on a way of thinking, fundamental versus used research, particular sub-disciplines, aspects of research or approaches (including growing people), size or standing of an organization, age, gender and/or other personal facets for the applicant.
NSERC is functioning on evidence that equity, variety and addition fortify the systematic and engineering communities plus the quality, social relevance and effect of research. Candidates should make reference to concerns 5 to 7 into the Guide for Candidates: Considering equity, diversity and addition in the application to learn more.
In planning their application, candidates should consult the choice criteria and indicators area and Appendix an associated with Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships tools which offers of good use informative data on exactly what committee people look out for in assessing applications. Candidates must also read the guidelines for finishing an application – Form 201.
Candidates are selected and evaluated relating to:
- Analysis potential(70 and ability%)
- Correspondence, social and leadership abilities (30%)
Notification of choice
January NSERC will notify all applicants of the results by the end of. NSERC will likely not offer outcomes by phone.
NSERC will publish the names (along with other basic information that is award of fellowship recipients on its internet site. To learn more, begin to see the use of Suggestions Act additionally the Privacy Act.
Conditions of this honor
Relate to the Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide for policies and needs about keeping the prize, such as for instance acceptance, begin date, deferment, paid parental leave, keeping the prize on a part-time foundation, etc.